Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Tunesday: Lee Fields and The Expressions

I've recently started delving into soul music.  Now, as far as it goes as a genre and the gobs of artists that have molded soul music as well as the different regions that are hotbeds of soul that have distinct styles, I am still learning and absorbing information and sounds.  I'm totally new to this.  Tabla Raza.

That being said, I recently stumbled on Lee Fields and the Expressions.  I can't remember if I was just fishing around on Spotify or saw an article on him or what, but he came my way and I immediately had to get my hands on his records.  Needless to say, they are all gems.

Then add to that, he just so happened to be playing the Echoplex in Echo Park ...  what timing!

Lee Fields is a hell of a performer.  The guy came out in a 2-tone white and beige satin suit.  He kept hyping the audience, then he would belt out some really powerful and emotion-filled vocals.  Dude can do it. 

Not only can the guy sing, but The Expressions, his backing band, totally set the table for Mr. Fields to serve up a delicious vocal entree.  I don't think I really need to write much about Mr. Fields and his band, you should just watch the below videos and then go get your hands on his music.




No comments:

Post a Comment